Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Back from Winter Break

Winter break is over - aw man!  And now I am back to doing - what else? - school.  Right now I am learning tons of new things, and today I have a math quiz going over algebra.  Just so you can get to know me a little better, I want to show you what I am currently doing in school. :-)


English



I just finished Dragonwings by Laurence Yep.  Dragonwings is about a young Chinese boy, Moon Shadow, who helps his father achieve his dream of flying.  It is a pretty good book overall, but it does lack of excitement and you might get a little bored of it.  It did, however, keep my interest level fairly high, so I would stay up night after night reading chapter after chapter.  And the chapters are pretty long.  I did great on the quiz for the book, so I am proud of that.  I think this is a great book for both boys and girls ages 10 & up.  Whether you want to read it for fun, or whether you are going to read it for school.   (BTW, English is my favorite subject!)


Math

5 over 16 proportion

While this may look hard for some of you, and while many of you think it is easy, I find myself enjoying going over this stuff.  It is pretty simple, actually.  Last semester was harder, though.  We were going over equations and stuff like that.  When I was younger, I was freaked out by the way a subject like math, which involves mainly numbers, would have LETTERS involved.  But I learned that each letter represents something, and that it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was!


Science



In science I am going over plant reproduction.  The process is simple and easy, so science is one of my best classes.  In science, we get to do lots of experiments and TONS of portfolios (which sometimes drives me crazy, but many of the portfolios turn out to be fun).  I just finished a science portfolio last week, which was by far the most fun science portfolio I have done yet.  We had to actually plant three seeds in separate places and grow them and measure them each day.  One seed grew in sunlight, another seed grew with very little sunlight, and then the final seed grew with no sunlight.  So at the end of this experiment, the seed with the most sunlight grew the most.  Plants need to sunlight to receive nutrients.  If you think about it, plants are just like humans.  They are living things and need food, oxygen, and other things to survive - just like people!


Social Studies/History



In SS (social studies) we are going over geography and right now we are learning about China and places that surround China.  While SS may be my worst class, that doesn't mean I'm terrible at it and it also doesn't mean I hate it.  I actually love SS and can't wait to get started on my SS portfolio today!  In the portfolio, we have to do something sort-of like a newspaper article.  It is really cool.


Extra Curricula 

Physical Education - As good as PE gets.  Workouts.  Eat healthy.  You know the stuff.  At the end of every two months we turn in an activity tracker, which tells what workouts we did each day.  We must workout at least 150 minutes per week.

Technology - In technology, we have short lessons which are easy to complete.  We have about one portfolio per month.  Tech is my best extra-curricula class, because it is easy.

Art - I love art!  Art would be favorite class, but it is such a hassle.  We have so many lessons and so many portfolios, I can't keep track of everything!

Basketball - Yes, I do basketball.  So far, my team has won 2/5 games, which is pretty good, I guess.  We have two more games to play.  I am number 4.

Cheer - I don't do cheer yet, but I plan on starting cheer/tumbling in the Summer.  I can already do a right leg split, a backbend (I can go into one by standing on my feet and bending backwards), cartwheel, round-off, scorpion, front walkover, and I almost have my back walk over.

Acting - I love acting!  It is so much fun to become a whole new person and try new experiences!  I have been in two major plays and have auditioned for a popular movie.

I used to do soccer, dance, ballet, archery, and play the recorder.


So what are you going over in school right now?  What are your favorite classes?  What kind of extra curricula do you do?




3 comments:

  1. Fascinating! :) I am just doing Bible, English (a mix of reading, grammar, and spelling), Algebra, science, health, and keyboarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I am doing English, Algebra, science, history, PE, keyboarding, and I have an after school art class on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have English, Algebra, science, history, PE, cheer, and modeling.

    ReplyDelete