Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Meet Amanda

Meet Amanda, our Covergirl!  

Hey!  My name is Amanda, and I am a crazy fun 14 year old.


I still can’t believe that I won the Covergirl Contest!  I am still so excited.
My favorite colors are purple, blue, and green.  I think that you will agree with me when I say that they are really “cool.”  

I own a purple monster pencil bag that is teeming with pens and pencils.  Whenever someone needs a pencil, they look at me and smile because they know I have a pen that they can use.



My favorite subjects in school are algebra and English.  My least favorite subject is science.  Blech!  It’s all those useless equations that get me.  I shiver whenever I think about equations.
I enjoy many different things.  One of my favorite things to do is write.  It is so magical to weave a story out of words and share it with others.  I have attempted to write long stories, but they have all failed either because I can’t think of what to do with my character next or I realize all the technical problems that are in my story.  I hardly ever have a plan of what I am going to write; I get my ideas as I go.  So sometimes the story will change halfway through, and then I realize that I am going to have to go back eventually and fix the story.  Yuck!  I am more interested in writing shorter stories now.  I wrote one a month ago that is only 14 pages long.  It is short and sweet.  And about three days ago I wrote a super short story (It’s only 700 words long!).  These are easier to go back and edit.  Especially if it’s only twenty paragraphs long, instead of twenty-thousand!



I also enjoy graphic design.  I started down the path of graphic design in late 2011.  The first graphic that I created was a vine.  This same vine is now a part of the official SKG (The SKG –South Kakalaki Girl – is a newsletter that I own) logo!  Pretty neat, huh?  I love creating a piece of art, especially when I can get it printed and see it in real life!  I am definitely progressing in graphic design.  I have made a couple logos, some flyers, a banner, and some menus for a Snack Shop we had at our church.  You can find graphics all over the SKG website, too!  
Another thing that I enjoy is blogging.  There are so many different things that you can blog about; the possibilities are endless!  I love this “the sky’s the limit” thinking.
I also enjoy playing the piano.  My favorite things to play are hymn arrangements and songs from movies.  Hymn arrangements are so powerful; I have only played the piano offertory for my church once.  My heart was shaking like a mouse cornered by a cat and for a minute I thought I was going to keel over, but then I took a seat at the black, shiny grand piano and just imagined myself in Heaven playing for God.  It was an amazing feeling.  I also enjoy playing songs from movies, like I mentioned.  I can play the theme song from Up, a couple measures of the song from Brave, pretty much all of the songs from The Sound of Music, Music of the Night from The Phantom of the Opera, and many other songs, but my favorite song that I can play is Do You Want to Build a Snowman?  It is such a cute song, and I get such a kick out of playing it with the movie playing in my head.  It makes me smile!
Well, that’s a little taste of me!  I hope you enjoyed this and didn’t lose me five paragraphs ago. J  
In closing, I would just like to share my website with you.  It is such a burden on my heart to help girls find good reading material, and I feel that the SKG newsletter and blog will not only be enjoyable to you, but it will help you grow closer to God.  You can find it at www.southkakalakigirl.com.  I would be thrilled if you signed up for our newsletter and subscribed to our blog.  We try to have a Look and Find and a Funny Friday post for you every week, as well as one random other post.   
1 Samuel 12:24 (KJV)
Only fear the Lord, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you.
Hugs and smiles, 
Amanda

2 comments: