Saturday, October 11, 2014

Book Review - The Summer of Moonlight Secrets


Whenever I walk into the library, the same books always catch my eye for some reason.  Well, this book that I’m about to share with you was one of those, so one day I decided to get it!  I’m so glad I did.


The Summer of Moonlight Secrets, written by Danette Haworth, is an intriguing story of a young girl, a boy, and strange, mysterious girl.  Allie Jo, who lives at a hotel in Florida, and Chase, who is staying in Florida for the summer, meet a gorgeous girl named Tara.  But Tara always seems to be frightened by their presence and spontaneously jumping into the springs.   But once they learn her secret, everything changes. 

Good qualities of this book –

I love the descriptiveness (wait, is that even a word?) of the author.  “Tara’s shimmery skin, long flowing hair, and strange fondness for moonlight swims . . . “ “His breath is hot and moist on my ear.”  “I watch the ring as blackness dissolves into swirls of color” I think you get the point.  It makes you feel like you’re there.
The author also changes point of view in every chapter, which is pretty cool.  One chapter, you can see Chase’s point of view and thoughts.  The next chapter, you see Allie Jo’s thoughts and perspective.  And every once in a while, you can see Tara’s actions and thoughts.

Not so good qualities of this book –

Although this is also in the “good” section, the author changing point of view is also in the “bad” section.   After reading this book for a while, it can be dizzying and kind of hard to keep up with who is thinking or saying what.

My rating –

I give it 4.3 stars! 

In my opinion, the “goods” definitely outweigh the “bads.”   So what are you waiting for?  Run to the library and grab this book before it flies off the shelves!  :)

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment