Thursday, May 22, 2014

The One by Kiera Cass

Remember that post about The Selection series I did a while back?  Well, at that time, I had still yet to read The Elite and The One, the other two books in the trilogy.  And now, I can say I read them!  I saw The Elite at my local library, and read it twice because I was so in love with it.  When The One came out, I ordered it from Amazon and got it six days later.  I have only read The One once so far, but I most certainly plan to read it again in the near future.

Should I get to the review, now?  Okay, that's what I thought.

Please go HERE to read The Selection review before reading this review

Here is an overview:  In The One, you finally find out which of the Elite (the bottom four) Maxon chooses, and which guy America chooses.  You also get in on what the rebels (these people that attack the palace) are up to, and you learn so many secrets about them and other people.  Like... Celeste (an Elite), Anne (one of America's maids), and Aspen.  There are also a few romantic scenes, which gives the book some spice, and a huge shock towards the end of the book.

To describe this book in a few words, I would have to say epic, romantic, and shocking.  This book will leave some of you crying, some of you mad, and some of you swept off your feet.  It left me sad, mad, despressed, happy, and all sorts of things.  But I did not cry once during this book.  I only got chill bumps.  I am kind of dry when it comes to books.

I give it ten+ stars, totally, although it is my least favorite book in The Selection series.  I think it was kind of boring in some parts, and I just couldn't wait for it to be over with, but for good reasons.  I couldn't wait to find out if Maxon did, in fact, choose America, our main girl in the series.  Although, I cannot tell you who America chooses.  Maxon or Aspen.  Maxon or Aspen.  Maxon or Aspen.

The king in this story is very powerful, and he likes to get what he wants.  If you read The Selection, you think the king seems like any king; meaningful, has power, and knows how to fight.  But in The One, you'll find out his true self.  It's... it's kind of creepy.

Oh, the queen.  I absolutely adore her.  She is so kind, strong, powerful, beautiful, and so many other things. I feel really bad for her about only having one child, Maxon.  In The One, she really looks forward to having a daughter-in-law, and I can see why.

America's dad.  Oh.  My.  Gosh.  You will find out a huge secret about him in this book.

America's brother, Kota, reveals a secret that he has known for quite some time.

Anne reveals a secret to America.

Lucy (another one of America's maids) has been keeping a secret.  What could that be? ;)

You learn a lot more about the Northern rebels, and what they have been up to after all the attacks.  You also find out about a few secret rebels that America knows personally.

The Southern rebels are the same always... brutal, ruthless, and wanting to destroy everything in sight... including the royal family.  But this time, they are fiercer than ever, and you'll be shocked at the timing of their attack.

America learns so much in this book, and I am pleased to say how proud I am of her.  She has really grown into a young woman, and is no longer some rude and stubborn girl.  She learns some valuable lessons, and makes great choices in this book, however...

I am not pleased that she and Maxon have this thing, where, America wants him to tell her he loves her first, before she can tell him the same.  So it's like a battle between Maxon and America... who will say 'I love you' first?  Read the book to find out!

Ah, Maxon!  I love him!  He is sort of like my book character crush, ya know?  Any girl who reads The Selection series will fall in love with him.  Although, not so sure if anyone can fall in love with Aspen, because he just seems... so... so... I have no idea!  There are no words to describe him, which is a bad thing.

Anywho, that's all for my review.  I tried creating a video for this instead of writing it all out, but that didn't work out because YouTube didn't want to upload my video.  But hopefully YouTube will work next time.




 

2 comments:

  1. Now I really want to read these books lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love The Selection, so I guess I need to read the other books in the series!

    ReplyDelete